Use of Technology
Many time-honored vinting traditions have been replaced by modern technology.
- Grape harvesting and destemming are no longer done manually. Today we use mechanical harvesting and destemmer machines with minimum damage to the grape.
- Grape pomace was formerly pressed with a screw press. Today the pomace is pressed with pneumatic bladder presses.
- Once fermented with grape stems, grapes are now fermented without stems (except carbonic maceration).
- Grapes were fermented in open-air casks without temperature control. Today all fermentation occurs in refrigerated fermenters with temperature control, enabling the winemaker to accurately control his fermenting cycle.
- Wine was stored in open casks or barrels. Today wine is stored in closed tanks and sparged with co2 to avoid oxidation.